Wednesday 14 February 2007

Meet the Parents!

Met Di's parents last Sunday night after church! We drove 45 mins through the heaviest downpour I can remember in a long time to get to Terrey Hills, where a quaint Austrian restaurant and a dinner date with her folks awaited us!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous! When Di had told her parents we were going out, her dad had said I'm silly for asking her out! The occasion was actually her dad's b'day, and I felt kinda weird going without a present! Not that I didn't think of it beforehand, but Di told me her dad hates presents and I guess it would've been weird, not to mention difficult, buying something for someone you've never met before!

We arrived just 5 mins late thanks to Di's hoon driving! I have to say I'd never been to that part of Sydney before!!! It was all bushy and for all I knew, I could've been in some small country European town that you see on tv! The restaurant's decor only served to reinforce this, not to mention the genuinely authentic Austrian waiters who greeted us and seated us! They were dressed up in their pants and suspenders and all! Whilst we browsed the menu of authentic Austrian cuisine, a huge boar head grinned down at us from its mount on the wall!

Her parents and brother and sister-in-law were already there and had even started on the garlic bread! I had met the brother and sister-in-law already but her parents seemed friendly enough and greeted me warmly!

I sat down prepping myself for a 'Meet the Parents' style interrogation, which was not helped by Di saying 'C'mon dad! Start grilling Ben!'. Actually they were really nice and just asked the usual get to know you questions. After a while, the conversation had turned to all his favourite topics - golf, home renovations, and Peekay! I loved their Malaysian accents and her dad actually has a good sense of humour! Her mum is actually alot like mine, both being nurses and it seems, having a similar habit of analysing restaurant foods so they can attempt to cook it and better it at home!

The food itself was nice and well presented - Di's main came in a wheelbarrow!!! They were such massive portions noone could finish their mains! I had my leftovers put in a doggy bag!

So all in all an enjoyable night and not the ordeal my wild imagination thought it could've been! I think I'm really going to enjoy getting to know her parents better and I think I'm actually excited about going over to their place this Sat for a CNY lunch!

Now I just gotta find out what they really thought of me...!

No comments: