Monday 16 January 2006

Ben's Anatomy =P

Wow wow wow!!! Today was my very very first day at work!!! Not that I did anything significant cos this first week is only an orientation week, but nonetheless!!! For those who don't know (or have forgotten) I'm working at Bankstown/Lidcombe Hospital - ya huh - I've become a westy (albeit, an inner westy! But hey I'm an easty and proud of it so anything west of Anzac Pd...!). The trek out there only took 25-30mins so not too bad la! This place will be the place I work in and breathe in for the next 40 (+ overtime)hrs/week for the next 52 weeks!

If you're thinking intern life is as glorious as Grey's Anatomy, ER, or any other of the dozens of medical shows on tv, the short of it is that it isn't! First day of orientation involved getting welcomed about 10 times (which was really nice!) and going through a mixture of admin matters as well as some practical workshops in suturing, taking blood etc etc to make sure we're half competent doctors in one weeks time (when we start for real!). Got another ID badge to add to my collection and discovered what a nice new hospital Bankstown is, not unlike the renovated Sutherland or St Vincent's hospitals! So all in all, quite happy so far with getting Bankstown despite my first preference being Prince of Wales.

Did I say how very happy I am to back home?! I must say it's been good sleeping in my own bed again, having a western toilet to do my business in rather than a squatting toilet (although I must say my leg muscles have probably strengthened somewhat!), and just having all the comforts of home! I really do appreciate home all that much more every time I come back from overseas! Also been really great catching up with friends again, especially church friends whom I missed heaps whilst overseas! Did manage to go to church in Malaysia and that was an amazing experience but you really do miss church back home when you've gone away for even just 3 weeks!

Ok time to catch up on what's been on tv! Stupid tape recorder didn't work when I was away cos my paranoid (or should i just say Asian!) dad turned off every electrical appliance so missed out on the Apprentice final (if anyone has it can I please please borrow?!?!) and a couple of episodes of GGs! I think tennis is on so go the Aussies - c'mon!!!

No comments: