Thursday 26 January 2006

We love our lamb...apparently!

Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi!!! Happy Australia Day everybody!!! Geez I don't even know if that's what you're supposed to say to each other on Australia Day but oh well! Has anyone seen that ad on tv advertising lamb on Australia Day??? It's pretty funny!!! This guy comes on and tells us that eating lamb cutlets is basically the solution to everything and he argues that to not eat lamb is to be "un-Australian"...whatever that is...! I guess that's a term that's been cropping up in the media and everyday language more and more of late. The Cronulla riots were described as "un-Australian", a guy who was on trial in court for beating up some guy was described by the judge as having done something very "un-Australian", and now we're being told that to not eat lamb is "un-Australian!!! So what on earth does it actually mean to be "Australian" as opposed to "un-Australian"??? I suppose other terms come to mind like "fair-dinkum", "true-blue", just being a "good bloke"...but it seems to me that we're not too clear exactly what what those terms mean either! We seem to be able to call things "un-Australian" when we as a society disapprove of something like the Cronulla riots, but if you asked the random bloke on the street what it meant to be Australian, I'd think he wouldn't have a clue! So are we in the middle of an identity crisis as we become more and more of a multicultural society??? I think just how multicultural we are was brought to light by the riots but sadly it gave the world the impression that Australians are racist and a bunch of red necks...at least that's what my relatives in Malaysia were wondering. I had to do my best to reassure them that the riots were basically due to a minority group of gangsters and juvenile delinquents on from each side clashing and picking fights, and that they (hopefully) didn't represent the attitudes and views of the majority. But I have to say, nothing makes me feel prouder to be an Aussie than when I see a bunch of people from so many different ethnic backgrounds having their faces painted with the Aussie flag or flying Aussie flags from their cars on the way to the cricket or tennis. When we have something to unite around, whether it be a sporting event, raising money for overseas aid, or celebrating an occasion like New Year's, I think one of our greatest attributes is that we share that sense of patriotism and I think that's just marvellous!

My Australia Day was a welcome day off from the chaotic first week of work I've had! Went over to Colleen's place for a super duper awesome BBQ put on by her fully-sick-mate-iron-chef-bro Chris and his assistant chefs! It was funny though, cos I don't think those lamb ads worked on us Aussie Asians cos we didn't have any lamb! Was nice catching up with friends from church outside of church context and I reckon it's something we should do more often! After the BBQ, I headed over to uni to play tennis with Jon, having being inspired by watching the Aussie Open! It was still hot at 5.30pm or so and we kinda languished as we played on. The court behind the baseline on one side was actually flooded cos of a pipe leak or something so everytime Jon missed the ball down that end (or I hit a really bad shot to him that flew way out), he'd have to fish it out of the pool of water! We settled the game in a tie breaker which I won for once 7-5! We went home for a nice dinner and enjoyed watching the Aussies beat Sri-Lanka in the cricket with only a couple of balls to spare! Advance Australia Fair!!!

No comments: