Saturday 8 July 2006

Any ordinary day?

Twas my birthday today...though by the end of it, it more or less felt like any ordinary day... Got up late having watched the tennis the night before. My bro and mum ran into my room to wish me happy birthday and give me presents - what a nice start to the day!

We then went out for lunch in Hurstville before I had to head off to work for an afternoon ED shift. And whilst I was in the car I started wondering...'Man I wish I had today off! Why didn't I try harder to swap shifts and get it off?'. Then I started wondering about why birthdays are special and I concluded that I wasn't really sure...

What makes birthdays something to be celebrated? What makes it our special day, where everyone congratulates you and you suddenly seemingly become the centre of the universe? I suppose there's the significance of having reached another milestone in your life...another year to add to the tally...or to some people, another year closer towards getting older and older and older...perhaps without having accomplished too much, or not having accomplished what one would have liked or expected...?

Well today at work it was like any other day. I definitely did NOT want people at work to know it was my birthday...perhaps cos I didn't want them to sing to me (which by the way I find kinda uncomfortable about each year...whether it's just my family or a whole bunch of people...)? But at the same time, thanks to my family who made the few hours before and after work special, and the people who called and sent messages. Special thanks to Uncle Alex and Aunty Clem from England who called whilst I was at work but I wasn't home to talk to.

Work turned out to be one of my cruisiest shifts ever! Got home just before midnight to cut the cake my mum had baked for me and to enjoy the women's final of Wimbledon. And just like that my birthday was over...was it just another ordinary day...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Late happy birthday Ben!

Wish you a good year ahead, my bro.