Sunday 18 June 2006

A side, B side, Seaside

YAY!!! My week of nights is finally OVER!!! So glad to get back to normal routine and eating patterns. I have to say though, this time round the week of nights seemed to go quicker and was more bearable than my first lot. Don't know whether it was because I took a different approach to my sleeping pattern, or because I did a proper ward round at the start of my shift meaning that I didn't get paged as much, or simply cause the World Cup was on and I had something to watch all through the night! I really think the latter was a major factor now that I think about it...something I won't be able to enjoy next time around. 9 hrs is a long time to kill and this time around I didn't want to sleep during my shift cause last time I found it to be not really refreshing and meant I couldn't sleep properly during the day. So anyhow...just really glad second lot is over!

Went out yesterday with Jimbo, Carmen and her friend Frankie to see a Honkie movie at George St called 'A side, B side, Seaside'! It was one of two sessions of that movie being played as part of the 53rd Sydney Film Festival. It was not your typical honkie movie and was rather thoughtfully produced. Many of the scenes felt familiar even to one who hadn't grown up in Hong Kong and there were several memorably funny scenes! Cause I can't be bothered to write a spiel about what the film's all about, I'll just copy paste the one from the Sydney Film Festival website:

"The story of two girls' farewell to their 17 years of youth. In two parts, just like two sides of a movie disk, the film tells the separate but intertwined stories of Chen Tian and Ah Mel. Chen Tian is a schoolgirl about to leave for Beijing for college, who decides to spend an unforgettable trip with her best friends in the fishing village of Cheung Chau, where she discovers love for the first time. Ah Mei, a girl who's had a tough time in the big city, returns to the village to revisit her past. She finds herself reuniting with two boys from her childhood. The fresh performances from the young actors, combined with Ah Chiu's deft direction, perfectly capture the fun, enthusiasm and romance in this enjoyable coming of age movie."

So there you have it! If you wanna check it out, the second screening is on this Wednesday at 6:40pm George St Cinemas. Go see it!

No comments: