Friday 30 June 2006

The Perfect Guy/Girl?!

My cousin sis sent me this pic a while back...actually the original e-mail had 4 pictures above this one of 4 'perfect guys' doing chores, giving their wives massages etc etc. You can imagine that this pic following those 4 would've had a bit more impact than this one on it's own...

So what is a guy's perspective on all this???

Well I guess just like most girls, most guys probably fantasise about their 'perfect gal'. And whilst girls may fantasise about perfect guys who will be attentive to their every need and do all the housework etc, I think it'd be fair to say that most guys fantasise about probably just one thing...


Now sure you may argue that guys' and girls' fantasies are different and girls' fantasies are generally more innocent, whilst guys' fantasies are generally lustful... I think the point is though, that fantasies are nothing more than self-indulgences. If I were a girl, I'd be abhorred to imagine every guy I walked past fantasising about me. Being a guy, I'm abhorred to think that girls could ever expect their perfect guy to be just that...perfect!

I guess it's not really realistic to go around with a checklist of pre-requisites and criteria that define your perfect guy/gal. Looking for a partner isn't like shopping for a car or house! I've always thought that when you do find the right partner, all those criteria and pre-requisites (bar some) would go out the window anyhow.


But on the other hand I think you do need to assess a person's character, attitudes and personality to decide if he/she is appropriate to pursue a relationship with. This I think is different to ticking boxes off a checklist of pre-requisites. It's spending time with the person to see if they share similar goals and attitudes with you, and if they are, dare I say for lack of a better word, "compatible". And being a guy, I'm ashamed of it, but I can be the first to admit that I do struggle with giving a girl's character/attitudes/personality a higher priority than her looks.

At the end of the day, surely searching for a partner isn't about what you get out of it yourself but how you can serve and care for the other person? And I think that is the core problem when we go about looking for Mr/Miss Right. We go about looking for who's best for ME, rather than what I can offer and how I can serve the other person. We think about how it'd be nice to have someone to snuggle with ME, someone to comfort ME when I feel all alone... That person should actually be called Mr/Miss Right-for-ME...

But sure, as I go to more and more weddings, see my friends all with partners, and keep on hearing my parents ask me "So have you met any nice girls lately?", I do wonder impatiently...when will my turn come to meet the girl God has planned for me? But then I think about it and remember that yes, God does have a plan for me and I have to trust that plan. In the meantime, my job is to work on my character, attitudes and bad habits and to look for ways to serve my sisters in Christ. It is no small thing to ask a girl to accompany me through life. I pray that one day God will grant me the responsibility and privilege of caring for and serving a girl for the rest of my life...

No comments: