Tuesday 13 June 2006

Socceroos - Australia salutes you!!!!!

Got to work excited and on time for the first time out of all my night shifts ever! The reason - to see the Socceroos take on Japan!!! Forget about handover. Forget about the wards. Ignore the pager. Nothing was gonna stop me watching this game to the very end. And how glad I am that I watched right to the end!

After that dodgy goal by Japan in the 26th minute when they blatantly fouled our goalie Schwarzer, I thought I'd be happy if they could just draw. What happened in the 83rd, 89th and 92nd minutes were beyond belief and had myself, the night med reg, and the night surg reg jumping off the couches and hugging each other dancing wildly around the common room! Amazing how many feelings a 90min game of soccer can evoke and I could almost feel the nation celebrating as one after each goal! Man I was even crying tears of joy by the end...such was my disbelief at the almost magical ending!

Some people may laugh and wonder what all the fuss is about and how others can get so emotionally involved in what is just a sport, just a game. But what happened tonight was not just a game...it was a defining moment in Australian history. A moment when we burst onto the world soccer scene as a nation and announced in typical gutsy Australian fashion to the rest of the world "BRING IT ON!!!"

Came home this morning and watched my taped replay of the match and the goals at least 10 times! The first goal may have been a fluke but Timmy Cahill's second and Aloisi's third were quality! Pure quality! And who can forget our mate and honorary Australian, Guus! He may have buggered up the first half but his tactics and substitions in the second half were pure genius! Guus mate - you're a legend!

Next stop, world champions Brazil. No worries! We can DO IT!

Socceroos - I salute you!

No comments: